Project EMPOWER —
Intimate Partner Violence & Sexual Assault Prevention & Intervention
CALL HOTLINE: 1-800-838-8238
Project EMPOWER is a multi-disciplinary initiative dedicated to enhancing prevention and Intervention services to individuals and their family who experience intimate partner violence (IPV) or sexual assault (SA).
Intimate Partner Violence (IPV) is defined as a pattern of assaultive and coercive behaviors that may include inflicted physical injury, psychological abuse, sexual assault, progressing social isolation, stalking, deprivation, intimidation, and threats. These behaviors are perpetrated by someone who is, was, or wishes to be involved in an intimate or dating relationship with an adult or adolescent, and are aimed at establishing control by one partner over another.
Project EMPOWER seeks to reduce re-injury of victims through support and resources while raising awareness of intimate partner violence (IPV) within the medical setting and increase patient screening amongst practitioners through:
- healthcare provider training focused on how to identify, screen, and refer patients experiencing IPV or sexual assault
- IPV awareness activities in the hospital and community
- comprehensive direct care services to patients and families
- Confidential care from a skilled forensic nurse team
- Emotional support provided throughout the hospital experience from care coordination to a trained community-based advocate to assist with safety planning and obtaining a protective order when needed
- Access to community resources, emergency financial assistance —
- VCU Intimate Partner Crisis Fund provides monetary assistance and community resources for persons experiencing a domestic or sexual violence related crisis. Learn More
HEALTHCARE PROVIDERS & ORGANIZATIONS:
- IPV and Sexual Assault training opportunities
- Resources and support from the Project EMPOWER Team
- Community Outreach
COMMUNITY PARTNERS & RESOURCES
Project EMPOWER is supported by partnerships with local Fire & EMS, Commonwealth's Attorneys, Police, Victim Witness, and Advocates.
The following organizations offer emergency shelter, confidential counseling and advocacy. They are always available to provide assistance.
- YWCA of Richmond | 804-643-0888
- Safe Harbor Henrico | 804-287-7877
- Hanover Safe Place | 804-752-2702 or toll-free 888-370-SAFE
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Caitlin Shiflett, MSW | email@example.com
Jean Anne Cheek RN SANE-A CN IV | firstname.lastname@example.org